Assignment #11

Oppression is cruel or unjust treatment that is prolonged. The difference between Violent resistance and Nonviolent resistance is that Violent resistance use threat of physical pain or even death to their oppressors, and Nonviolent violent resistance is using peaceful means in which people are not harmed. Agency is the ability to determine the outcome of one’s own life. People should use non-violent resistance cause’ in my research project James Baldwin used non violence because he was getting treated unfairly and he just wrote about all those things in his books. Nonviolent resistance can work for very harmful things. For example, a girl named Malala talked about how she was shot because she wanted an education and she gained agency by peacefully talking about her oppressors in her speech. People can use Nonviolence in wage to for example, it’s an article about The Soweto Uprising doing a boycott because schools were doing things they didn’t need to like forcing education. 

First of all, James Baldwin was never the type of person to be violent with someone that’s not what he stood for because he felt it was other ways to handle oppression  which was using Nonviolent resistance. When I analyzed a writing about James Baldwin it talked about how much oppression James was getting it was more of Interpersonal Oppression because others like Martin Luther King Jr and Malcolm X didn’t really accept him knowing he was a homosexual male. Some really didn’t accept him it was already hard for him to be a African American male but when people knew he was homosexual it just made his life more resistant. I got the information off a site  from a writing on leo.stcloudstate.edu by Robert Pfeffer called ¨The fire This Time.”  This was last updated July 15, 1998. I think this information is reliable because the narrator doesn’t have a reason to be biased against  James Baldwin or anyone named in the writing also, the evidence in the source seems to support what may have really happened. According to the text “the beliefs of its two most popular leaders, Malcolm X and Martin Luther King, Baldwin was never really accepted by either camp.” This shows that people should use Nonviolent resistance because people are gonna have their opinion if it’s really affecting someone then people can just write about and gain agency like James Baldwin. People can also use this type of resistance by even going on a protest going against the way people feel about homosexuals than threatening the oppressors.  

Second of all, No one deserves to get shot in their head for wanting an education this is going to be about a girl named Malala using Nonviolent resistance against her oppressors. Malala only wanted an education she was very ambitious about getting an education but people try to get in the way of that. I’m gonna talk about some information from an excerpt of a speech given by 16 year old Malala Yousafzai to the United Nations General Assembly on July 12 2013. This source provided is reliable because it’s a primary source and the evidence if from the person that actually wrote it. According to the text “I am here to speak for the right of education for every child. I want education for the sons and daughters of the Taliban and all the terrorists and extremists. I do not even hate the Talib who shot me.’’ This shows that even if you get shot in your head you can use nonviolent resistance because if people live through something like that and is able to talk about it they should. Others need to hear that story which others will see and can try to do something bout it because they can see that’s really messed up.

After all, People shouldn’t be forced to do something they don’t want to do especially learning a different language because people have their own beliefs. I’m going to be talking about one of the ways resistance was used and that was nonviolent. Students were forced to do things in school that they didn’t want to the main thing was learning a different language. This source is an article from the website called www.findingdulciea.com  titled “Soweto Uprising Begins With Violence During Student Protest.” It was written by Denis Cummings on June 16, 2011. I think the article is reliable because the author doesn’t seem to be biased against anyone, but this is a secondary source which makes it kind of hard to believe. According to source “many students in Soweto, an overwhelmingly black section of Johannesburg, started boycotting school. A group then organized a mass protest for June 16,that morning, thousands of students began walking to the rally’s meeting place, the Orlando soccer stadium.” Based off the text people can use nonviolent resistance against oppressors if it has a new language forced on them because no one should feel forced to do anything, so they can protest against their oppressors by boycotting.